Interview with JØRD
JØRD is one of the greatest artists in the Brazilian electronic scene. Collects successful singles and remixes, support from the biggest DJs and remixes for major international artists. Currently has more than 1.3 million monthly listeners on Spotify and thousands of followers on the main social media.
1. How did you get into music and for how long have you been producing for?
I started because I was curious. A friend of mine was a DJ/producer at the time and he taught me some things. It was my first experience and it caught my eye. Soon after, I started producing myself and I’ve been on this path for about five years.
2. What are some of the key moments in your career that have elevated you to where you are today?
The main one was my remix of the song “Losing” with Vintage Culture. That really got my career on the right path. After a long and hard work from my agents and partners at Boost MGMT, we started creating a strong identity to the project and my brand grew in Brazil.
3. From your own productions, what are your three favorite track names?
That’s a tricky one! Hahaha. I would choose “Losing”, “Heads Above” and “Potter 2.0”.
4. People starting out in music may be questioning what they need to get started. What was the first set of equipment/software you ever bought?
The most important: a laptop. I think that’s the foundation for it all. Don’t let your anxiety take you on a path of spending too much money in the beginning of your career. Fancy softwares and equipments are not what is going to make you a good producer.
5. What’s your favorite effect and/or synth plugin? And why?
Another tricky one, hahaha! One that I use in almost every song I make is Camel Crusher (Camel Audio). And synth, I think I would go with the Serum because it opens up a lot of opportunities.
6. How was the process to create your musical identity?
Trial and error. I’ve spent a long time absorbing my references and mixing them, creating this “new” sound. The moment I started seeing every DJ playing my creations, I knew I was on the right path.
7. How was the experience of creating your first sample pack?
It was amazing. At the same time, it was tiring, I did it with all the love in the worlds, so it was very rewarding to see it all come true and everyone asking for it on social media.
8. What trends do you see in the world of electronic music production?
I see a growth in Progressive House and Techno. At the end of the day, I see a general growth in electronic music, so if you are a DJ or a producer, now is the time to study a lot, because later there may be hard to get on the wagon, haha.
9. Any new or upcoming artists on your radar?
Zuffo, especially. We live together and we have been friends for quite a long time. He’s been finding his way in the industry, creating a solid identity and catching big names’ attention. He is my bet on the next big thing.
10. Famous last words?
“Never give up!” I have this quote tattooed on my chest, to remind myself to never give up on my dream.